Re: Spark Gap Design

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 9/7/05 12:46:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

What is the benefit of building a multi-gap  spark gap using copper
pipe segments within a large diameter pipe (such as 5")? This design
seems difficult since you are drilling round stock and cant
adjustment be difficult?  What type of designs do you suggest as an
alternative?

Thanks,
Dirk

Dirk,

The adjustment is not really difficult if you make slotted holes to hold
the screws that hold the pipes.  the benefit of this design is the
way that a muffin fan can be placed at the end of the pipe thereby
forcing air over both the insides and outsides of teh tubes for
better quenching and cooling of the gaps.  An interesting alternative
design is the single vortex gap which Gary Lau used to use on his
large coil.  It's basically two pipe fittings that are spaced about
1/4" apart and air blows in or out of the pipes, I forget the exact
details.  In any case it worked very well.  He used a vacuum cleaner
type motor to supply the airflow.  Then of course there are the
SRSG designs which can generally get more spark length from
a given NST or other transformer.  I show some SRSG designs
and my phase controller circuit at my website at:

  http://hometown.aol.com/futuret/page3.html

John