Re: Introduction / LTR caps

Ditto,

An MMC could be used for any size TC or power. It's all in the MMC design. Granted, it may be more cost effective to buy a prof. pulse cap than build an MMC when the power gets up in that range. But nevertheless, an MMC could be built to suit, as long as cost is not an issue (which it never is, in my experience).

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Hi Mark, and DC,

Certainly with pigs, one tends to drive a larger Cp, and if the secondary doesn't change, this would require a smaller Lp. Therefore the peak current goes up. However, I see no reason why a MMC can not be designed to handle the larger currents (just no more than 400+ amps per string using the 0.15uf caps. One can also increase the topload to allow a larger Lp.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "Mark W. Stolz" <mark_w_stolz@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I would have to disagree. The 10kVA coil we recently built uses a .130 nF MMC and has had no problems, even with several minute runs.

Mark Stolz
http://teslacoils4christ.org/

Don't use with pigs. With a .05 uF Maxwell cap on a pig powered coil we measured 2,300 Apms peak on pri ---- too much for MMCs.

Dr. Resonance