Re: Hunting For Pigs...

If he gets seriously injured it's not him that's going to do the yelling of lawsuit--- it's his insurance company lawyers and insurance people who pay the hospital bills who will do the yelling and shut us off.

If he's not at least 21 he shouldn't be messing with a pole xmfr ---
period!! If his parents knew how deadly these things are they wouldn't let him mess with one either.

I see info on this list how someone got zapped with a MOT and how another got zapped with a NST. You will never read about the pole pig accidents because no one alive to tell the story.

Dr. Resonance

I had to do a little "hunting" myself before I was able to
locate a reliable, renewable, and relatively affordable
source of pole pigs. I started by looking on the yellow pages of my local phone directory under "transformers".
My local electrical utility is also the local water and na-
tural gas utility and is publically owned by the citizens of
the municipality which it serves. All that being said, my
local utility was not a good source for pole pig release
to the general public (that means me), because unlike ma-
ny privately owned utilities, they have their own transfor-
mer rebuld/repair shop. They have been quoted to say
that when they're ready to discard a pig, it has no servicable life left in it. So I ended up searching through the yellow pages under "transformers" and started calling. I was final-
ly lead to a utility transformer remanufacturer shop in a town
some 2 1/2 hours drive from me that was willing to sell them
on an individual basis w/out sweating the liability issue of it.
I can call them up with what I want with 48 hours notice and
go down and pick it up in my P/U truck two days later. I picked up a 15 kVA, 14,400/240 volt single phase unit that
wieghs in at 340 lbs this past April for $300.
A bit of advice, too. When you do finally locate a reliable source
of pigs, I'd be careful about who you lease that info to. You don't want the wrong person to get one and then fry or seriously
injure himself and then start yelling "law suit". That would just about
guarantee that your supply would be stopped! That's what happened
with T&R Transformers a few years back.

David

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 9:34 AM Subject: Hunting For Pigs...

Original poster: Tyler Pauly <rpggod714@xxxxxxxxx>
Hey, I'm looking into buying a pole pig, but don't
know where to look.  I may have a backup plan - a
local power company may donate one to my high school
club - but I want to know the market.  I know Dr.
Resonance was selling some... are there any left?
Besides that, where do I go for one of these? A
junkyard?  I probably won't buy one immediately, but
if there is a deal I'll go for it. What's the price
range?
                   Thanks for the help,
                        Tyler
_