Streamers = RF corona??

Original poster: d a <btoc3000@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hey,

Is there a difference between the streamers that are coming out from the topload on its own?

and the arcs formed when a grounded object is brought near to the topload?

My hypothesis is that the streamers that are coming out on its own are the RF corona while the arcs formed when the grounded object is brought near are the usual discharged formed between 2 HV terminals.

Also, just to clarify on the RF ground. Is it primarily there to sink off the RF current? At the bottom, we have high current and small poternial difference (voltage) so the RF ground is to sink this high current. At the same time, it acts as a 'reference point' for the topload to radiate RF waves. The RF waves enter the RF ground (the RF ground being a return-path) and is being sent up to the topload again.

Am I right to say that?

Thanks
Sam