Re: Hunting for pigs

Original poster: Jared E Dwarshuis <jdwarshui@xxxxxxxxx>

I have shown coils to several high school physics classes using only a
60ma 15kv NST power supply. The show has always been a delight to all
concerned. No one has ever said:    " I am unimpressed "

I have always ran half wave type coils, as sparks meandering about
hitting workbenches and such looks rather uncontrolled in the eyes of
authority figures.

Sixteen inch sparks will make the teachers look very nervous. Some of
the kids look visibly scared.

In the name of good public relations I will limit the spark length to
no more then twelve inches from now on.

I am against the notion of being scared or encouraging fear as a means
to promote safety. You dont want to be scared when you handle a
dangerous situation, as fear itself can produce poor judgment.

Safety is a matter of procedure and planning. You cannot "cut corners"
and expect the risk to be managable. How many red lights can you blast
through before the laws of probability catch up to you?

Jared Dwarshuis