Re: Base current......Re: Tesla Coil RF Transmitter

Top load current is not the same as base conduction current. As one moves up the coil, the displacement current off of each turn increases (due to increased AC voltage) and reduces the conduction current in the wire. By the time the top load is reached, whatever remainding conduction current feeding the topload will leave the topload as displacement current and streamer conduction current.

Gerry R

Original poster: dave pierson <davep@xxxxxxxx>

    If current flows into the ground an equal amoung MUST flow through
whatever you call the thing on top of the coil.

While largely in agreement with the rest, this i pause to ponder over.

There is no way his configuration could have behaved other than as a transmitter with a
short top-loaded antenna.

Consider classic 1/4 wave antenna over ground. Voltage peak (minimal current) at top. CURRENT PEAK AT BASE !

   Need the current be the same at both ends?
      DC Case, yes.
      resonant AC case????

   (For the Tesla Coil Case I'm 'implying' no break out...
   In case of breakout, all changes....)

   I suspect this 'current peak at base' accounts for the need,
   especeially with high power coils, for a really good rf ground.....

   (I am not invoking 'new physics', rather conventional
   antenna concepts....)

   best
      dwp