Re: Five inch lightning from bare fingertips (argon videos)

Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>
>    http://amasci.com/tesla/heli1.html
> I added some thumbnail-sized MPEG videos to the "One Atmosphere Plasma
> Globe" page above.

The arcs are pretty dim because the room was brightly lit.  I'll post some
more videos filmed in the dark.

The argon pool effect is really cool.  You can "touch" the invisible
surface of the argon with the tip of a violet-wand TC, and it instantly
fills the bowl with white streamers.

I tried helium in an upside-down bowl, but it gives very dim purple blobby
discharges, not white streamers.

Neon would probably work too (though Neon is also lighter than air, so the
bowl would need to be inverted.)