Re: Tesla Coil RF Transmitter

Original poster: "Gary Peterson" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

. . . As for his setting up standing waves around the earth, I don't have a
quote for that but suspect that he did say it. . . .

A number of pertinent statements appear in the patent ART OF TRANSMITTING ELECTRICAL ENERGY THROUGH THE NATURAL MEDIUMS (http://www.teslaradio.com/pages/patents/142352.doc)

"The specific plan of producing the stationary waves, here-in described, might be departed from. For example, the circuit which impresses the powerful oscillations upon the earth might be connected to the latter at two points [a type-two transmitter, see http://www.teslaradio.com/images/image004.jpg].";

In referring to terrestrial standing waves we are speaking of Schuman resonance and Earth resonance. I evoke two different resonances because there is evidence if Tesla did indeed excite a terrestrial rasonance mode while at Colorado Springs, it was not necessarily a Schuman resonance mode. This has been suggested by Charles Yost (R.I.P.), Leland Anderson, and André Waser.

Schumann resonance is studied by observing the effects of lightning discharges upon the electrical condition of the earth, specifically the naturally occurring electric and magnetic fields. Earth's electrical condition can also be modified by artificial means, as it appears Tesla did, by use of a properly tuned and configured electrical oscillator.

Schumann resonance:
Fundamental period of resonant oscillation: shifts between 7.5 - 7.9 Hz. (Anderson, Bradford)
Q: 3 to 12 (Anderson, Bradford)
Wave description: "cavity wave" (Yost), "surface wave" (Wasser)
Detection: buried 3-component magnetic field sensors & multiple component elevated electric field sensors

Earth resonance:
Fundamental period of resonant oscillation (based upon round-trip time): 11.76393 (Yost), 11.79 Hz. (Wasser)
Q: [unknown]
Wave description: "electrodynamic wave" (Sommerfeld), "conductor wave" (Yost) "pressure wave" (Wasser),
Detection: buried 3-component magnetic field sensors & buried 3-component electric current sensors

. . . I can't imagine any
instruments sensitive enough for observing this, either then or now. . . .

"The presence of the stationary waves may be detected in many ways. For instance, a circuit may be connected directly or inductively to the ground and to an elevated terminal and tuned to respond more effectively to the oscillations. Another way is to connect a tuned circuit to the ground at two points lying more or less in a meridian passing through the pole E or, generally stated, to any two points of a different potential. . . .
"In collecting the energy of these disturbances in any terrestrial region at a distance from their source, for any purpose and, more especially, in appreciable amounts, the most economical results will be generally secured by the employment of my synchronized receiving transformer. This invention, forming part of my system of transmission of energy through the natural media, has been fully explained in the patents first cited here . . ." [ART OF . . .]

"Here I have the receiving circuit, similarly connected to ground and to an antenna. Then I have a second tuned circuit in which are included the operating devices. . . . If you take this fourth circuit entirely away, and leave only that circuit here, the antenna and the ground connection, then that is the ideal condition for the flow of the current in this receiving circuit. . . . the ideal condition requires that you should have here a device which only requires pressure and no current; and once you have a device which does not need any current but merely acts by pressure and has no internal capacity, so that there will be no capacity current in the
circuit, then that is the ideal receiver. . . . I have invented such an instrument and have demonstrated its efficacy. . . . Quod erat demonstrandum." [N.T. On A.C., pp. 99-100]

. . . and wouldn't believe him if he said he had.

I, for one, believe him.

Ed

Gary