Re: Secondary Output Current

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Many things can effect the apparent output current from a VTTC. As you have noticed, its easy to stumble upon something that can change the output considerably. Id hazzard a guess that the output current is probably in the 100mA range peak (this could be measured really...). It is not deadly to contact it, due to the high frequency nature, but it can burn you internally (and externally) because there is a good bit of power there to heat the flesh!

Anyway, by changing the position of your feedback winding, you were changing the amount of feedback to the tube, probably such that the tube was in conduction for a greater portion of the cycle.

As to safety with the sparks, just keep your distance. Its too easy to get too close to VTTCs. The plate supply is much more deadly than the output sparks, be sure of that!

Steve Ward