Re: New DRSSTC first light and a question

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

My CTs *NEVER* run warm at all

Yes, if the CT core gets hot, it means it's trying to generate too much output voltage (or too many volt-seconds to be pedantic :P) and saturating. Try more secondary turns on the core and a lower burden resistance. (I can't remember what- if any- burden Dan provides on his board.)

I like to use a single CT with the primary wire passed through once, 33 turns on the secondary, and a 0.33 ohm non inductive burden. That gives 1 volt per 100 amps. Lately I have been putting a pair of back-to-back schottky diodes in series with the burden resistor, to give more output at low currents.

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/