Re: New DRSSTC first light and a question

Hi Finn,

At 04:07 AM 9/18/2005, you wrote:
Terry, all

Getting into DRSSTC`s quite intensively myself, for a musical Tesla Organ:
http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/bridges.jpg

Neat!! I was going to try to get my DRSSTC to talk and sing. It certainly has the bandwidth now! But that project is a little behind as are most this busy summer ;-) Wonderful to know you are getting into DRSSTCs too!!!

I notice that you write that you "pull all the differential probe tricks" to be able to see a signal.

Could you elaborate a bit on what "all the differential probe tricks" are?

The differential probe normally likes to look at low impedance (<1 ohm) sources that are pretty immune to stray noise. But if the source is not "low impedance (like say a gate drive) in a very noisy environment, they can pick up stray noise on the long wire leads and maybe into the box that has a lot of amplifier electronics in it.

You may have to twist the long wire leads together to help reject noise and maybe even use big ferrites on the probe cable to control the noise interference. Mostly just try to position the probe parts away from super noisy areas. Just be aware that odd noise spikes and such might not be real...

My probe's alarm would "click" all the time. A little noise was getting into it's over current alarm and driving me nuts till I figured out where the noise was coming from. %:-) It sounded just like a ferrite core magneto constricting. Of course, my DRSSTC does not have any ferrite cores or anything else that would do that... It took me a whole day to figure out that it was the tiny speaker on the diff probe... 0:-p

Cheers, Finn Hammer (who has tek P5200 and Metrix MX9003)

Excellent!!! Your all set to go!!

snip

Be super sure to see this note...

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/notes/TerrysDRSSTCnoiseFIXES.pdf

Happy to see another joining the DRSSTC club :-)

Cheers,

Terry