Re: LTR

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 9/19/05 3:58:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hello all,
Having been inactive for several years I have seen mentioned  LTR
caps in the archives and some websites. I would like to learn more
about this practice. Can someone recommend a website or source of
information on this topic?
Brad McPeak

Brad,

It's a matter of using a larger than resonant capacitor.
It's just a way to keep the voltage lower on the transformer so the
transformer doesn't get destroyed. Works well for 120 bps
sync operation with NST's and with static gaps too for the
NST's.  Pole pig/potential xfrmer systems can be run somewhat
LTR also for smoother operation as suggested in the old circa
1920 spark transmitter books such as Morecroft's book,
Principles of Radio Communications (1921 edition).  Also, unlike a
resonant system, the voltage won't build up higher if the
spark gap fails to fire and you have no safety gaps.

John