From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: DRSSTC Additional questions
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:12:44 -0600

Original poster: Skip Greiner <sgreiner@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi all
Ok, the primary feedback using Steve's two coil system works great. New questions

1. The tuning of the system is much broader than any TC that I have ever built. There is little difference in spark length when adding or subtracting two or three turns to the primary. Is this typical of DRSSTCs? Per JAVATC the coupling is between .18 and .2. The resonant frequency seems to hold pretty steady at 285khz regardless of the turns in the primary.

2. Doubling the tank cap size definitely lowers the resonant frequency and the input current goes up dramatically but there is little effect on the spark length and the primary turns still seem to have minor effect on the spark length up to a certain point. Are others seeing the very broad tuning that I seem to be getting.

So far I am only inputting 60vac to the full wave dc bridge and spark length is approaching 12". The secondary is only 18.5" long. I am leery of increasing the input voltage until I understand this apparent broad tuning.
Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks Steve and everyone for the feedback help.
Skip