Golka's Wendover "secret" gap

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx

Folks-

Previously, I had asked about the gap Golka used at Wendover, which is labelled as "secret" on the old diagram. We got this response from his current colleague, Mike:

> He had a very fast quench there which
> he developed but he will not release it. I know what it is but have to
> respect his wishes; That was conditional to my posting the other info.
> It is very dangerous not contained and even post contained, once arcs have
> happened through the contents it becomes poison. I guess he did not want a
> liability problem.
    Terry replied to this:

> If it was a SF6 style gap thing, it was well described in > the TCBA news... Since I forgot which issue, maybe the
> secret is still safe ;-))

> Sounds like some others already pretty much new all about
> it... Of course, if Bob made little tweeks or anything
> "special" to get it to work (especially at those super
>power levels), those secrets are still safe ;-))

Yesterday, I had an opportunity to talk with Golka in person. I asked him about the "secret" gap. He said it was SF6, at 45 psi (I presume "gauge" pressure). Recirculation/replacement of the gas is essential at these power levels, no matter what gas you choose to use.
WRT it being "secret": I asked permission to publicly pass on the info. He said the configuration was secret at one time, because he was trying to sell a system to Disney. He explained how corporate Disney screwed him over, and since the project fell through, there was no more reason to keep it secret. So the gap has probably been previously well-detailed.
I don't think he was concerned about liability issues, although he did stress that the SF6 did rapidly break down into horribly toxic stuff in that service (of course!).

-Phil LaBudde