Re: resistor for pulsed voltage

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 9/25/05 2:03:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
>Hi,
>
>I have to reduce the current of a Marx generator (800kV, 10kA, 10µs
>discharge time).
>Does anybody have an idea how to build a resistor (very low inductance
><10µH) for that voltage and current? Can I use water with salt or
>coppersulfide?

That's exactly what you do.  Use Copper Sulfate
because it doesn't react with the copper
electrodes. PVC pipe works very nicely.  Allow
for venting when the temperature changes.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/hv/rwater.htm
has a discussion of the design of these things.

>I am grateful for every help. >Best regards >Helm

Hi Helm,

Copper Sulfate is the best to use. (Copper sulfide won't dissolve in water)

Matt D.