Re: Tesla Coil RF Transmitter

Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Ed,

> Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> "Excellent point, and a good example of a frequency selective system
> that's band limited.
> Hmm, though, can one create an arbitrarily sharp cutoff with only
> RC?  I think not, off the top of my head."
>
> We used to have a guy at Hughes named Lou Weinberg who had the
> reputation of being a real expert on network synthesis.  I heard him say
> that, using only PASSIVE RC circuits, it was possible to synthesize any
> transfer function shape if the loss were allowed to be arbitrarily
> large.  Don't know if it's true or not.  Certainly with a little
> feedback you can get arbitrarily sharp response.

Yes its true.  I think its even in a theorem.
Think of it like synthesizing a waveform from sine waves except instead of
adding sinewaves your multiplying 1st and 2nd order transfer functions.
It gets tricky because of the interactions between them. But you could
reduce that with resistors. You can also arrange for the transfer function
to add by putting the elements in parrallel but you need the resistors
again.

Robert (R. A.) Jones
A1 Accounting, Inc., Fl
407 649 6400