Re: Tesla Coil RF Transmitter

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
"Excellent point, and a good example of a frequency selective system
that's band limited.
Hmm, though, can one create an arbitrarily sharp cutoff with only
RC?  I think not, off the top of my head."
    We used to have a guy at Hughes named Lou Weinberg who had the
reputation of being a real expert on network synthesis.  I heard him say
that, using only PASSIVE RC circuits, it was possible to synthesize any
transfer function shape if the loss were allowed to be arbitrarily
large.  Don't know if it's true or not.  Certainly with a little
feedback you can get arbitrarily sharp response.

With only passive RC circuits you can't realize complex poles, just real poles. No resonances. But transmission zeros can be anywhere, and can really be placed to produce sharp transition bands, at the expense of attenuation and high order. With feedback (and active circuits) you can obtain complex poles, and build anything that can be realized by RLC circuits, and more.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz