Re: Pictures of my 2KW coil and the 8x32 concrete toroid

Original poster: "Mark Broker" <mbroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

About 18 months ago I made a similar toroid, only using 4" ducting. I made the toroid the size I wanted, and then wrapped a single layer of 2" wide fiberglass mesh tape (drywall joint tape, actually) taking care to not deform the thing too much. The tape added quite a bit of rigidity, which made the next steps a lot easier.

Using a putty knife, I completely coated the thing with a lightweight, fast-drying vinyl spackle. The mesh tape kept the stuff from falling out of the grooves. After it was dry (a day due to the deep grooves), I sanded with 100grit, and then reapplied to fill in any gaps and whatnot. When that was dry (a couple hours), I started to wrap 1" wide strips of Aluminum duct tape around it. When wrapped, I used a soup spoon wetted with a little WD-40 to burnish the surface.

I ended up using two pie pans screwed together to make the center support.... get ones without teflon if you can!! :o

My results are not as good as yours, but a significant improvement over standard drier duct or even ducting wrapped with several layers of masking tape, and a whole lot easier than fiberglass/epoxy. The toroid feels stronger, and doesn't dent as easily as an uncoated one does. But the thin layer of spackle does deform rather easily when pressed on with a fingernail, so handling care is required.

Cheers!

Mark Broker