Re: Skip's DRSSTC

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

No, not even that! What happens when the drive shuts down and there is still some energy left in the tank circuit??? Those reverse diodes have to be there so that energy can return to the buss capacitors, otherwise you will be applying high voltage in reverse across the IGBTs (which from what i understand, they dont tolerate too well!).

Like ive said many times, those diodes are absolutely necessary.

Steve

On 9/29/05, Tesla list <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <<mailto:a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

> Original poster: Steve Ward <<mailto:steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx> steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>
snip
> NO WAY! You *must* have a diode across each IGBT. Its some sort of
> miracle that they havent failed yet. I do note that you are running
> 7AAC input for only 18" sparks... how hot are those IGBTs getting??

No miracle. Just soft switching via primary current feedback.

Ok then a mini miracle.

Robert (R. A.) Jones A1 Accounting, Inc., Fl 407 649 6400