Re: Power Loss

Original poster: Jared E Dwarshuis <jdwarshui@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi: Dennis

If you switch to a .01uf tank capacitor you will be much happier with
the power processed by your spark gap. You should be able to set your
total gap width to around half an inch total.

I set my gaps for maximum spark length, then close up the gap
gradually until the spark length diminishes ever so slightly. This
puts much less load on the fragile NST.

When you set your variac at a higher voltage, the current likely went
up as well. The current and inadequate gap distance kept your gap from
quenching. My guess is that you cannot get your coil to work at all if
you open up the gap with your .03uf capacitor.

Naturally you will need another primary coil.

good luck from: Jared Dwarshuis