Re: trantorque gt for rsg motor attachment and maybe electrodes?

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Personally I think the Trantorque bushing, and its cousins that work by expanding a thin metal casing with hydraulic pressure, would be an ok solution for rotor mounting. I played with one of the hydraulic ones once and was amazed by the strength of its grip.

I don't think it makes life any easier for the machinist making a rotary gap, because you now have to bore a large precise hole through the G-10 rotor to accept the bushing. With a bolt-on hub, the hole doesn't have to be super precise, because the flatness of the disc face is what determines if it wobbles.

Also, if the hole isn't quite in the middle, the disc can be chucked into a lathe by its hub, and turned down until it is centred. That could be done with a keyless bushing I guess, but it would be more of a hassle. You would need a dummy shaft to go through the bushing and be gripped in the lathe chuck, because, unlike a hub, the keyless bushing won't grip at all unless there is a s haft in it.

The only failure mode I can see over and above a bolt-on hub, is that the rotor will expand under centrifugal force causing the centre hole to get slightly bigger. If the hole gets too big the bushing will lose its grip and the rotor may fly off. You would need to do some fairly heavy calculations to predict if that would be a problem.

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/

Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: "D.C. Cox"

This sounds like unsafe engineering practice.

It's probably best to use a 3 inch dia. alum. hub with 5-6 equally
spaced fasteners that extend all the way thru the G-10 and then
thread into an aluminum "backblock".

It might work but why risk the limb or eye of yourself or a friend?
--- even worse, if d oing any type of volunteer school or public work
some type of rotor malfunction, where possible pieces of tungsten
shards could fly off and cause injury, would be horrible --- and once
the incident was "circulated" through any state or national school
publications it could set the fun art of safe Tesla-coiling back
decades. The insurance companies might pick up the scent and warn
schools not to allow any Tesla coil related devices in any classrooms
or public events.

I don't want to sound like an extreme alarmist here but unfortunately
in many hobbies such as drag racing, etc, this is the simple fashion
in which things can go horribly wrong and "impale" the entire hobby
with more restrictions, etc.

Safety first --- always!!!

Dr. Resonance

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 4/3/06 2:23:32 AM Eastern
Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Do a google on trantorque gt.
>Lots of folks have them and specs. One would
>think that G10 would be strong enough.certainly
>they would be excellent for the motor attachmment.

That is an interesting idea - would require
only a single accurately centered hole in the
center of the rotor, and would eliminate the
motor shaft key as well. And yes, interesting for electrodes as well!
If I used a Trantorque on a good-sized RSG
rotor, I'd be sure to semi-permanently lock
everything with retaining compound (like Locktite
RC 609) just to be sure nothing slipped or loosened up...

-Phil LaBudde