Re: Dwell time, etc

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 4/3/06 9:10:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>I did some tests and
>compared the spark length using a sync rotary, compared
>to a triggered sync static gap.  The triggered sync static cap
>had about a 5/8" spacing.

     John-

     Any more details or photos of your triggered static gap?

-Phil LaBudde

Phil,

I don't have any photos.  The design was based on teh work
of Mark Metlicka a number of years ago.  We used a lamp dimmer
(actually a motor controller) to vary the triggering phase.
A GM ignition coil was used for the high voltage to the trigger
electrode.  The gap itself was formed from two round discs
of metal 5/8" apart with the flat faces facing.  The 1/8" wide
pointed tungsten electrode aimed towards the center of the
gap.  I'll see if I have more details in my notes.  The gap
was extremely loud and bright.  Much much louder than a rotary.

Many others on this list had built similar gaps back then.  I assume
they're still on the list, not sure though.

John