RE: Power Loss

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Jared:

My "dangerous advice" comment stems from the likelihood (IMO) that
setting the gap width as you suggest may result in damaging the NST.

Let's say that one opens the spark gap completely, so it never arcs.
Assume also that the cap is mains-resonant with the NST, as is the case
with a .01uF and a 15/60.  With each mains half-cycle, the cap voltage
will build higher and higher, as you have a 60 Hz resonant tank circuit
and nowhere else for the energy to go.  Normally a "properly" set gap
would break down at a voltage corresponding to what's "safe", before the
1st half-cycle even completes.  But if the gap is set wider to a voltage
higher than "safe", the voltage will build on subsequent half-cycles to
higher and higher voltages, until something DOES break down.  It's
entirely possible that your 15/60 NST may be charging the cap to 40 or
50kV if the gap is set so wide.  You may be lucky and have good
insulation on your NST, but another person's NST may fry if it sees
40kV.

I agree that a too wide gap won't fire at all, and particularly with a
mains-resonant cap, that's a perilous situation that should NEVER be
allowed to happen.  As you continue to close the gap, it will fire at
voltages far in excess of what's safe for the NST, and spark performance
will be excellent, provided the NST doesn't die.  Still continuing to
close the gap, the breakdown voltage will go down as the gap width
decreases and performance will also go down.

The accepted methodology for setting a static gap is to apply just the
NST secondary across the gap at maximum Variac, and adjust the gap width
so it just barely fires.  This sets the breakdown voltage to the peak
secondary voltage, or about 21kV for a 15kV NST, which is the maximum
voltage it was designed to endure.  OK, maybe open it up just a tad more
if you're feeling lucky...

I don't understand your comment: "a gap that is to small will not quench
properly."  Why would quenching - the cessation of pri/sec energy xfers
when the gap stops conducting - get worse as the breakdown voltage of
the gap is reduced?  It's no mystery that performance diminishes as the
gap is reduced, due to smaller bang size, but I would think that
quenching may actually improve with smaller bangs.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA