Replacement primary for NST

Original poster: "Robert Hanford" <pomnept@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,
Been a bad week-
Fried a nice multimeter-STUPID and sleep-deprived.
Tried out my old variac in its nice new housing on my small coil, using my
240 v outlet without proper fusing. My NST --Primary-- suddenly drew a lot
of current resulting in horrible performance. The wiring supplying power to
the primary and the primary got very very hot :^( but 2ndarys stayed cool .
I now have proper fusing :^D and am wondering-
Is there any reason not to try replacing this primary with another from a
similarly rated NST if it fits on the core reasonably well ?
Any input very much appreciated, as always.
Robert Hanford