Antenna physical size & shape

Original poster: gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx I have an idea. A transmitter antenna radiates output power just like the topload of the tesla coil radiates sparks.

Does the physical size of an antenna increase or decrease the output power? I know an antenna needs to be tuned to the circuit. A multi element beam antenna for example, 2 element beam compaired to a 4 element beam. Next a 4 element beam antenna compaired to an 8 element beam antenna. The 8 element is physically larger than a 4 element and it is larger than a 2 element. Reception and power output are both better with the physically larger antenna.

My next thought is, an amateur radio antenna like 80 meters, 40 meters, 20 meters, 2 meters do not physically radiate visible discharge sparks like a Tesla coil. WHY? If the amateur radio antenna were to be retuned would it radiate sparks that could be seen just like a tesla coil? If so then would it still transmit a signal several 100 miles to a receiver? If a tesla coil topload were to be retuned would it transmit just like an amature radio antenna?

Maybe we should think of our tesla coil topload more like an antenna or maybe we should think of an amateur radio antenna more like a tesla coil topload. What if an amateur radio antenna were made of a toroid shape or sphere shape with smooth round surfaces that would not have premature discharges would it transmit better? What if a tesla coil topload were though of more like an amateur radio antenna could be be designed to produce better discharge sparks?

Gary Weaver