Re: Anyone have a transformer I can buy

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 4/9/06 1:59:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>   Interesting - didn't know Sola made anything besides voltage regulators.

But Sola bought/was a division of/otherwise related to Hevi-Duty, the folks that made (and still make!) those resonant constant-voltage transformers. I had an ancient 500 VA one at my last job that somebody had abandoned but left powered 24/7. I became wary of old space-heater, took it down, and disassembled it out of curiosity. Sure enough, inside was a charred blackened mess from the transformer windings burning up, and about a third of the volume was occupied by a coupla large electrolytics. The thing was at least 30 years old, in a bad environment, and almost certainly had been abused, so it was time for it to retire. :) Besides, some of those brand-new regulators and power supplies Sola makes are reasonably hefty (and heavy!). Largest I've personally dealt with were 480V three-phase in, 24VDC 50A out (for machine controls). Given all that, wouldn't surprise me a bit that they are vertically-integrated by having an interest in the transformer business.

-Phil LaBudde