Re: visibility of an arc

As an atom acquires energy the electrons "jump" up (transition) to a higher orbital. They acquire the energy from the high voltage charge. When they "decay" back down to their normal orbit levels they have to release that energy. The energy is released as a "photon" of light energy which creates the blue light you see as a spark. The amount of transition determines the frequency of light. If the voltage is higher and the jump distance is enormous, in a vacuum, for example, then X-rays are emitted instead of light.

You may enjoy the book "Great Physicists" by William Cropper. It traces the life of many early physicists and the pioneering work they did from 1800 thru 1970.

Dr. Resonance

Original poster: "Langer Giv'r" <transworldsnowboarding19@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello, I've been wondering, how and why are we able to see the electric arc that a tesla coil gives off? I know that it is the ionization of the air and shifting the air into a plasma, but how and why do we see it?
Thanks