RE: MOT 4 stack blowing 20A fuses at 50V

Original poster: "Dave Halliday" <dh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

What was the original ballast?  Inductive? Resistance?

You say that it limited to 4.5 Amps.  At 120 volts, that is only 540
watts. A single MOT should be good for 750 to 1,000 Watts for a few
minutes.

For a 4X stack, you can feed it a solid 20-30 amps at 120 VAC and get
good performance.

Check the archives for "ballast" -- there are lots of good designs that
will yield a lot better performance.