To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2006 2:39 PM
Subject: RE: Stacked Primarys

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Building a stacked primary will definitely give you a much more compact
coil, and use less tubing.  I use one on my coil, details at
http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/primary.htm.  You get the biggest boost in
inductance by maximizing the mutual inductance between the two layers,
i.e. keeping them as close to one another as possible.  Just be sure to
use a layer of plastic between the coils with NO holes outside of the ID
or the coils, or else an arc will surely find its way between the two
coils.  Also, make sure the sheet extends at least 1.5" beyond the OD of
the coils.

Pete Komen wrote an Excel spreadsheet that calculates the inductance of
a 2-layer primary very accurately.  I'll attach it so that Terry might
post in on hot-streamer.com.

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/2LayerPrimary.xls

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

> Original poster: "Mike Tucknott" <michael.tucknott@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi Terry/Chip
>
> It`s been a few years since I`v been on the list but I though it was
> time to start
> building and I`m in need of a little help.
>
> I`m building a new big coil and the primary will need to be 40" dia
> if I stack 2
> 10 turn coils on top of each other how will this affect the overall
inductance

> And does anybody have any advice on how to build a stacked primary,
i.e. turn
> to turn spacing, coil to coil spacing and support structures etc.
>
> Cheers guys
>
> Mike Tucknott
>

> Smokin in south Oxfordshire UK

<http://freespace.virgin.net/michael.tucknott/tesla.htm>http://freespace