Re: Transformer location/Safety

Bad idea. I've already several reasons on this list why mounting the nst under the primary is a bad idea but people keep trying to do it wrong anyway. Magnetic field sweeps upward as well as downward and will go right thru you aluminum shield to induce currents in your copper xmfr windings. Also, downward sweeping magnetic fields will give up power, ie losses, in anything iron, steel, etc below the primary. Just don't do it --- it's very bad basic engineering!!!

Aluminum does not stop a magnetic field. In high power Tokamaks they wind the high current windings on the "outside" of the aluminum container so the magnetic fields can effect the conductive plasma inside the container.

Mount your nst in a box 4-5 ft away from the coil and you will be miles ahead without losing power or inducing RF currents into your xmfr windings.

Dr. Resonance

Original poster: "Rich" <rdjmgmt@xxxxxxxxxx>

Spring is here and I am ready to start my next coil and was hoping to
put my HV transformer on the base the same as Gerry did on this fine
looking setup. My question to the wise ones, would it help to place an
alum RF shield over the top of the transformer because mine is NOT an
enclosed NST. It is from a laser power supply, the windings are exposed
and are the highest part of the transformer.
  I must also add that I smile each time I see the picture of Gerry
standing by his setup keeping safety in mind and one hand in his pocket
and a good ground by being barefoot. :)

Rich , from the middle of Missouri

Hi Kevin,

I run my NST farm (15KV 120ma under the primary and have no
problems.  It is about a 1.5 ft underneath the primary.  You can look
at the pictures in the directories at:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/GerryReynolds

and judge for yourself.  I think if you keep things at a reasonable
distance underneath the primary, you will be OK.  I did think about
the magnetic field orientation when placing the Terry filter
components trying to get field cancellation where possible, but dont
know how critical this is at that distance.

Gerry R.