RE: Transformer location/Safety

Original poster: "Rich" <rdjmgmt@xxxxxxxxxx>

Thank you. I was thinking about my ham radio gear and the little
aluminum boxes they use to separate things in an amplifier and thought
that might help but I see if the RF would go up from the primary into
the secondary if would just a likely go down into the transformer. I am
not using an NST and my windings for my supply are on the outside of the
transformer so I will keep it at a safe distance.
Thanks again.

	Rich

Subject: Re: Transformer location/Safety

Bad idea.  I've already several reasons on this list why mounting the
nst under the primary is a bad idea but people keep trying to do it
wrong anyway.  Magnetic field sweeps upward as well as downward and
will go right thru you aluminum shield to induce currents in your
copper xmfr windings. Also, downward sweeping magnetic fields will
give up power, ie losses, in anything iron, steel, etc below the
primary.  Just don't do it --- it's very bad basic engineering!!!

Aluminum does not stop a magnetic field.  In high power Tokamaks they
wind the high current windings on the "outside" of the aluminum
container so the magnetic fields can effect the conductive plasma
inside the container.

Mount your nst in a box 4-5 ft away from the coil and you will be
miles ahead without losing power or inducing RF currents into your
xmfr windings.

Dr. Resonance