From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 7:08 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: saturable reactor vs choke

Original poster: "Jack King" <ekklekktikk@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
>To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: RE: saturable reactor vs choke
>Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:13:04 -0600
>
>Original poster: "Jim Mora" <jmora@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Hi Gerry, Steve, all,
>
>If you can come up with a silicon based solution that is comparable to the
>375 lbs of copper and iron in my truck, I'll be cutting the copper off for
>the scrap yard post haste!

...Well I wouldnt wheel it to the curb just yet...I have yet to find
a suitable firing card and triacs to approximate what a S-R and old
slide chokes do - I mostly roll such systems for NEON people, so our
HV transformers arent presented with a big cap and spark gap on the
end...but hey, silicon steel and copper fetch good money these days
(and then it's of to Mexico or China)

>I'll run it up to 15KVA on hot water heater elements and measure the
current
>draw verses the control voltage. It will be interesting to see how much
>linearity it actually has. It would be worth buying one more element I
>suppose (4500w/220v) which would run very close to the spec plate. Is there
>anything you would like me to test? I will be scoping the wave form.

You may want to parallell a dumb 0-300 V meter on the load, It would
be interesting to see how attenuated the volatge is at startup with
your load parked on it.

>I will
>over kill the DC by a few amps and regulate it.

I think your gonna have MASSIVE heat from the elements before you get
near 90 volts dc...Just a hunch from past experiments (but mine have
been with "240" v units )...

>It will be interesting to study what happens on a Jacob's ladder. I'll run
>the pig up to 2x 5kva max.

THAT sounds like fun!

>We will know more about the inductive/current behavior of this beast by
next
>week. Be assured that I have no desire to plot the full 90 volts control on
>my pig since I want to be on the conservative side of whatever knee there
>is. My neighbors would not like a brown out. There are six of us on one pig
>which has blown up before.

Yeah, your 5 kva pig wouldnt like you much...and hopefully you werent
the culprit on the last pig-popping!

>Silicon, Germanium, Fiber, it's all good. Leave me the copper, silver, and
>gold!
>
>Jim Mora

ANxious to here of your findings Jim...and I may be able to help you
find some suitable smaller saturable reactors...I run into them in
things like old induction heaters and forklift chargers all the time!

Jack