Re: Rotary Gap Design

Hi Jim,

Certainly, dynamic balancing is best and if you can have that done, great. I think static balancing will give satisfactory results.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "James Zimmerschied" <zimtesla@xxxxxxx>

Hello all,
there is some good discussion going on concerning rotary gap design especially with regards to electrode attachment. I haven't heard much said about balancing the rotor. My friend Bob Svangren has built a number of rotary gaps and one thing he is very concerned about is balancing the unit. He has a balance machine used for model airplane props or other small items. On a rotary I built and Bob helped on, we spent a lot of time balancing and removing small bits of mass ( hole drilling).

The end result is a very smooth running rotary.

As an aside, my next rotary gap set up will be using a metal rotor. I am going to try a special saw blade or make a rotor out of aluminum. Richard Hull used metal rotors on his machines and they ran many extended sessions successfully.

Jim Zimmerschied