Re: Optimum couping? - was: Baffles

Hi David,

I think I get what D.C. is doing here, he's implementing a recommendation that will give the biggest bang without the troublesome racing sparks or flashovers.

There is certainly a primary to secondary clearance of 1.5" assumed (or at least near that). That is something coilers should keep in mind when designing their primary's for these coils. The proximity of coils is key to coupling, and with a given sec ht recommendation, the primary proximity should also be identified because it is the reference point for the running conditions of the system recommended.

I run a moderate k. I've adjusted the primary to suit a sec bottom turn at the same plane as the primary on my small 4.5" coil which also uses a 1.5" clearance. It runs smooth driven by a 12/60 NST for the first minute, but if I let it continue on, it does get a racing spark now and then (not often, but periodically on long runs). So, I guess I keep my coils on that edge.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Hi Bart, D.C., all,

I too have  been reading the Dr.'s "rule of thumb" statements
about the primary/secondary coupling. I realize that D.C. has
probably forgotten more about coil building than most of us
will ever learn, (that's a complement, DR :^) but from my limited
personal experience, it seems that the verticle height of the secondary
above the plane of the primary spiral that the good doctor prescribes
leaves for very loose coupling and poor power transfer. Case in point:
With my Green Monster coil: http://dawntreader.net/hvgroup/david/gm.html
I originally placed the lowest turn of the secondary about 6" to 7"
above the horizontal plane of the flat, spiraled copper
tubing primary coil. Since my secondary is 12.5" in diameter,
according to Dr. Resonance, the lowest winding of the secon-
dary coil should be about 7" to 9"? above the horizontal plane
of the primary coil. When I fired it originally with the 6" to 7"
clearance, it would only produce 6 to 7 ft arcs, maybe an occa-
sional 8 footer from a 15 kVA pig. Once I "tightened" the coupling
and brought "down" the secondary to where the lowest turn was
only about 1.5" to 2" above the plane of the primary coil, the output
dramatically increase to 10 to 12 ft sparks (with an occasional 14 ft
strike) and the sparks were also considerably brighter. The 15 kVA
power source as well as all other aspects of the system remained
unchanged. And I did NOT incur racing sparks by "adjusting" the
coupling. What did cause me to start getting racing sparks was
firing it off outdoors under very windy conditions where the stream-
ers were "blown" back into the side of the secondary coil. This
also burned out my 18 kV rated distribution arrestor and caused
worrisome flashovers along the primary coil that were not previously
a problem. I had to recoat the secondary with multiple coats of spar
urethane varnish to repair the spark damage to the surface of the
secondary but did get it to running right, for the most part, again.

Anyway, I think Bart does raise a good point about how large the
diameter of the innermost turn of the primary is in relation to the
diameter of the secondary. That would definitely make a difference
in the coupling. Maybe others can offer their input into this matter
as to why I seem to get a discrepency in the optimal coupling of
my coils vs. Dr. Resonance's suggested coupling coefficients? I
have seen pics of D.C.'s large coils from the Teslathon photos and
it's obvious that he does subscribe to the very loosely coupled
primary/secondary coil configurations and yet he does get some
very impressive output spark lengths vs power levels.? What am I
missing here?

Bewildered,
David Rieben