Re: 50 Variacs 7.8 KW each FOR SALE

Original poster: gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

>>where did you get all of the variacs from?? I did notice that the original pix were pretty much
>>coated with sediment... :)
>>Scot D

I am a pack rat. Anytime I come across a good deal I buy it. The variacs have been stored in a small wooden building for 20 years. Lots of dust, spiders, mud dobbers, wasps, etc. Several years ago I cleaned up one of these variacs, stripped off all the stuff I didn't want, sprayed it with the garden hose, blew the water off with the air compressor hose, let it dry for a few days, oiled all the moving parts, it worked fine. These variacs came from local factories. New technology made the variacs obsolute so the factories put them in the ware house with lots of other stuff. After many years of collecting dust in the warehouse the factory finally decide to sell them. I buy what I can afford and what I have room to keep. I have passed up a lot of good stuff just because I don't have a place to keep it. If I had a 100 ft by 200 ft building I could have filled it full many years ago. Most of the factories in town have closed and moved over sea I could have bought enough stuff to cover 2 foot ball fields. The Satarn car factory closed I went there about 2 months ago the building is probably 1/4 mile long FULL of all types of stuff, robots, programmable controllers, machines, equipment, and it is all for sale at scrap yard price 40 cents a pound. I bought about 30 programmable controllers for $1.00 each I programmed one to turn lights on and off in the house using motion sensors, pressure switches under the carpet and timers, just walk into a room and the lights come on automatic, when you leave the room the lights go off automatic. When I go on vacation I can make all the lights, TV, etc. in the house go on and off at random it makes it look like someone is at home.

I once had about 50 high energy storage capacitors that weighed about 100 lbs. each. They were rated 5000 volts 18,000. amps, 210 MFD, caster oil filled. I sold 3 of the capacitors to someone on the TC forum many years ago I am guessing it was 15 years ago just about a year after Chip started this TC forum. I still have 3 of the capacitors. I did not have a place to keep all the caps so I threw them all in the trash. The 3 caps that I have I don't use very often. Some times I charge them up, then discharge them through a piece of 8 foot long 1/8 inch steel wire. The wire exploded, vaporizes into smoke, produces a huge flash of light and it sounds like someone shot a high powered rifle, BOOB. 3 caps in parallel 54,000. amps at 5000 volts makes a really good BOOB, its a lot of fun on the 4th of July. If anyone is interested in the cap bank I might sell it too, my work shop is just too full of stuff I don't really want or need any more. I have 3 other cap banks one has 30 caps in parallel smaller caps. I have primary coils, secondary coil, PVC pipe, enamel coated copper wire in 100 lbs rolls, 15 model airplane, 2 racing go cart, 5 racing engines, lots of parts, model rockets, 18 bicycles, toroids, spheres, radio TV transmitter tubes, and lots more.

Gary Weaver