Re: Sold state IGBT disruptive coil spark gap idea

Hi Peter,

You seem to be the only one I know of who has actually played with all of this!

First, I have to get the high current thing working. It might be possible to run SIDACs at super high currents directly (reading between some lines) but I won't count on it. But if the IGBT thing works out, there is no "limit" then >:-)

The cap I charge to 24 V is capable of running a timed "discharge" circuit too :-)) Basically, I put the "power supply" in the circuit to do "extra things" as needed. A timed quench circuit would not be too hard to add.

This circuit is a bit odd in that it will be a relatively "perfect" "no quench" circuit. It will have far less quenching than any "old" spark gap...

So we will just have to see... But the hooks are there to "fix it" if needed ;-))

Cheers,

        Terry