Re: Streamer Vs. Strike Distance Factor.

Hi Terry,

I personally like the 1.3 factor. That is very near to reality with my own coils. For example, my 4.5" coil with the 12/60 can do 45" or so free air arcs, but 58" to ground targets. When I ran my little 4.5" coil for photos, I grounded the 8.5" coils toroid to RF ground and moved the 8.5" coil around during setup runs to get the distance for somewhat consistent long arcs (all my coils are on rollers). 58" was a good distance (toroid to toroid) to ensure some of the photo's would capture the toroid to toroid hit (might have gone a little further, but the day was about photo's since I don't do the photo thing very often). So, for that particular example, the ratio 58/45 = 1.29 factor. Thus, I think the 1.3 factor is real - purely empirical (experimental findings).

http://www.classictesla.com/photos/ba45/s2841.jpg

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Hi All,

I was working on the newer version of ScanTesla today. Adding elevation and temperature to the streamer length stuff... So us folks in Colorado won't have a 20% streamer length advantage anymore >:o))

But I was wondering if you guys could help me out with one constant?

It is "air streamer length vs. ground strike length". Right now I have it at "1.3". So a 10 inch air discharge will hit a ground point at 13 inches. It is the ground strike distance divided by the air streamer distance.

If anyone has a guess at to that factor, send it to me at:

vardan01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Maybe a very short description of the coil (NST, DRSSTC, ect.) too. I will report back the numbers after I have collected them together. If you have any thoughts on this include those too...

Thanks a bunch!!

Cheers,

    Terry