Re: bulkheads / baffles in secondaries

Hi Scott, all,

Up until now, I've kind of been "lurking" on this
particular thread but I suppose now I'll go ahead
and throw my hat in the ring ;^) The only time that
I ever experienced internal arcing in a coil form was
with the first Information Unlimited BTC-3 coil kit
that I ordered, nearly 20 years ago. Of course I was
an "infant" in Tesla coil knwoledge and know how in
the mid to late 1980's and didn't have the internet or
know about Harry Goldman's TCML. I didn't really
understand the concept of high voltage creepage over
the smooth surfaces of materials that are otherwise
good insulators at this time, either. Of course as time
went on and I started getting "smarter" I started instal-
ing "creepage discs" inside the secondaries of my coils
but til this day, I'm still not totally convinced that the in-
stallation of creepage disc is absolutely critical to non-failure
operation of the secondary coil as many attest. On my
most recently completed "Green Monster Tesla coil",
http://www.teslauniverse.com/members/drieben/
I simply cut (2) 1/2" thick disc from a poly cutting board
and stick each one in each end of the secondary bore
about 6" from the end. I did have a hole for the shaft
to pass through while winding and coating the coil and
I ended up siliconing a piece of plexiglass over the holes
when finished winding and coating the coil. I guess what
I'm trying to say is that I've never made it a precision ma-
chining operation as far as the disc making a perfect air-
tight fit to the inside of the coil form. I simply cut a short
piece sample of the secondary coil form and placed the
circle over the poly cutting board and draw a circle with
a magic marker. I then simply cut the circle out with a jig-
saw. It was a close enough cut that I could push the circle
into the bore the depth that I desire and then I simply apply
a bead of plain ole clear GE silicone "Window and Door"
rubber sealant (yep, the acetic acid based stuff that smells
like vinegar while curing) and just on the exterior side of the
disc. My secondary coil is but 49 1/2" long but I drive it with
a 15 kVA pig and a .1 uFd pulse cap with a 12 x 56 toroid
and get 11 to 13 ft arcs from it without ever the hint of any inter-
nal tracking or flashover, yet, anyway ;^)) If I forget to wipe
down the exterior of the secondary coil before firing the coil
I do get an occasional racing spark, which promptly reminds
me to wipe it down ;^)

I also remember reading in one of the old TCML newsletters
where Richard Hull was talking about a maggy that he built where
the "third" coil was only like 10" x 24" long without ANY internal
creepage discs and was spewing out 10 or 11 footers with no
problem. I'm not sure the third output coil of a magnifier would
fall into the same category as the secondary coil of a classic 2-
coil Tesla coil? in this situation, but I thought that this was mentioning.

David Rieben

PS - My Green Monster webpage hasn't been updated in nearly
a year, so it's pretty out-of-date, but the major coil components
(primary, secondary, capacitor, toroid) are still the same.