Re: bulkheads / baffles in secondaries

Original poster: Gomez Addams <gomezaddams@xxxxxxxxx>

On Aug 15, 2006, at 5:35 PM, Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Garry Freemyer" <garryfre@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I have put baffles in my coils. I have had one of them fail too.
The baffle
was made up of a plastic cup

How thick?  Do you mean a drinking cup?  A pipe cap?  Or?

Mine are made from 1/2" (0.5") thick UV-inhibited PVC.

but the ozone caused the cup to crack and decay
allowing sparks through.

Also, using silicone seal to seal any gaps seemed not to work well,

Did you use conventional acetic acid -based silicone caulk?  It's not so
great for high voltage use.

I've been thinking about using one of the 2-part silicone rubber
compounds.

Holes left unsealed in the baffles would defeat the purpose of the
baffles.

I thought the purpose was to greatly increase tracking distance.  In
any case,
I turned the baffles without holes.  :)

The top and bottom bulkheads will get holes for securing to the base
and for
securing the toroid.

The best result I have gotten using baffles is to get flat end caps
for the
tubing and remove the rims so that they fit snugly inside, and then
seal it
up with epoxy or some other non-flammable glue that is quick
setting. Once
the glue is set and stops emitting vapors, the tube can be closed up.

I don't like the fragility of most epoxies, although I could probably
find
one that is tough and not brittle, if I looked hard enough.  Master
Bond makes
an epoxy for everything.

So far, the end caps also seem to be tight fitting enough to
overcome the
problems with silicone seal having to be pressed hard against the
inside of
the tube to ensure a good seal.

Tight fitting is definitely not a problem with the baffles I just
turned.

You might be able to cope with the holes left in the baffles by the
shaft of
your lathe if you had them placed close to the end where you could
cover
over and seal the holes after winding.

I've decided to turn the form between centers, no shaft.  I think the
coil
form will be plenty strong.

 - B(G)L

.