Re: Building A VTTC

Original poster: "Henry Hurrass" <Dr.Hankenstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I think the whole idea of the staccato controller in the first place is to
limit the "watts dissipation" that the plate really thinks it's seeing. As
an example, if you limit the duty cycle to say 50%, you could conceivably
double the plate dissipation (thus producing a longer spark), but the
"average plate dissipation" would still be below the "max plate
dissipation" allowed for the tube. I.E.: 500W times 50% duty cycle equals
250W avg. = longer spark. Without the staccato controller (which is really
only a pulse width or duty cycle controller AKA: CW Mode) the plate would
normally melt. I personally do not like to see plates glowing any color
other than black for longevity of the tube. Who cares what the BBS rate is
as long as you find the sweet spot where you would back-off the duty cycle
to make your coil a long time AND a long spark performer. Look at the
plate: If it's glowing, you are probably giving too much "hammer".  enjoy
and BTW nice work!

regards,
Dr. Hankenstein