Re: faraday cage

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have an 8 foot cube Faraday cage that I used for a public display at a Uni open day. It packs down into 8x4 sections and has a "door" for access. Assembly is a tedious affair. Neverthe less it was being run within 30m of a new multi-million dollar Cray computer so it had to be electrically quiet. The RF ground is the cage but you should also ground this to the mains as well. I forgot and got a bit of stray current between the cage and mains earth while running it. Faraday cages of this type are not that good at stopping RF. Even a $20,000 one for a Tesla coil at the science museum didn't stop mobile phones for example. Nevertheless, fluoro lights wont light up outside the cage. Mesh size is not critical in most environments. I use one that has 6 inch mesh size and one that uses small mesh of perhaps 2 inches.
http://tesladownunder.com/Tesla_School_3.JPG
http://tesladownunder.com/TeslaPhysics110mACageOn.jpg

Peter

Original poster: "Drake Schutt" <drake89@xxxxxxxxx>
.....  Ive been searching through
the list archive for a little while and what Im wonder about now is faraday cages. If i build a form out of small pvc pipe and cover it with metal screen or chicken wire, and somehow attach a fat ground connection to it will it work? Can i ground it to the same rf ground as the seconday? How big can the mesh of the cage be? (for a smallish 12/30 nst powered coil)

-Drake