RE: bug zapper

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

I have salvaged several BZT's (Bug Zapper Transformers).  The smallest
one I found measured 4.8kV @ 8.7mA, and using it in a small coil
produced 2.25" sparks at first light (i.e. w/ minimal tweaking).  Other
units have measured 5.6kV @9ma, and 6kV @ 9mA.  The thing to remember
about BZT's is that they often (but not always) have a small ceramic cap
potted and internally connected in parallel with the secondary winding.
This is to provide a lethal ZAP to the bugs, but won't work with a TC,
so you must chop through the potting and remove it.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA