Re: bug zapper

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Most of the ones I've seen put out 4-5kvdc at anywhere from 1-10 mA (doesn't take alot to kill a bug). Never thought of going for the record for the smallest coil, but these woud put out plenty of power for one. I have a few smps that convert 12V, 1A to about 5 kvac, ~2mA at 25-30kHz meant to power neon bars used for computer case decoration. Rectified it would make a nice tiny coil supply (about the size and weight of a cheap cigarette lighter).

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2006 4:01 PM
Subject: bug zapper

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,
I picked up a working bug zapper at a garage sale yesterday...Cost me a whole dollar. :) Does anyone know the output voltage of these things? It appears as though it might make a good transformer for a mini coil. Better question might be, has anyone tried one and found it to be suitable for a coil? If not, I have plenty of hv diodes and caps and might consider making a CW multiplier and playing around with a lifter or something else fun.
Thanks,
Mike