Re: Low-powered coil definition (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:56:00 EST
From: Davetracer@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Low-powered coil definition (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006  19:05:12 -0700
From: resonance <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla  list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>

<snipola>

It's a very "grey area" in the FCC, and usually ignored for  "educational
content", but, if you stir up the local bees nest with a  flagrant attitude
towards your hobby they can and will shut you down.   The FCC has the
authority to do it.  A former classmate of mine is an  FCC engineer ---
that's how I know.

Throw a big BBQ, invite all  the neighbors and s-l-o-w-l-y introduce them to
your hobby.  Make them  think it's interesting.  Have their kids draw off
some sparks to a  ground rod with a very low power coil.

Once they think you are "weird"  the damage is nearly irreversible.

Dr. Resonance

Yeah ... this is very true ...

For example, when I was in 10th grade, and had my first 811A coil running,  I
invited some friends of my folks down into the basement for a demonstration
of  Dave's Little Hobby. Once I got them by the Tesla Coil I shut down most of
the  lights, so they could see the corona, I explained, and then I lit several
 candles, which, I explained, were necessary to throw enough soot into the
air to  give the ozone something to react with. Thinking back, I believe they
were  indeed black candles, because those were the least expensive when I was
shopping. Then I kicked on the filament heaters, then spun up the coil, and
drew  an arc to thimbles on my fingers.

For some reason they were hesitant to take the flourescent light into their
hand and watch it light up.

Well, that was odd, I thought, they seemed to be in a hurry to go. I shut
things down, turned off the lights, blew out the candles. I truly was an
innocent in 10th grade.

Years later my Dad said to me that his friend came to him upstairs, and in  a
trembling voice, he said, "Jesus, Jim, do you know what David is  doing down
there in the basement?"

Let me second my vote to the "damage is nearly irreversible" statement
above. It probably does not help the peace of mind of your neighbors to have a
16-year-old electrical satan worshipper around.

You know ... I really put my parents through a lot.

   David