Re: Inductance of a capacitor? (fwd)

Original poster: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 16:17:41 +0900
From: Peter Terren <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Inductance of a capacitor? (fwd)

Some big caps like my pulse caps come with the inductance stamped on the
side.
http://tesladownunder.com/PulseCapsAerovoxlabel.jpg
The individual caps are 80 + 40 + 40 nH in parallel. To calculate the
inductance of the whole bank and associated wiring I measure the resonant
frequency.  This was 25 khz (period 45 us) for the 215 uF. it is measured by
looking at the ring frequency on the CRO with a small energy discharge into
the wire short circuit. This gives 200nH wheras the sum of inductances was
160nH.
For a smaller cap like a TC tank cap just scan with a frequency generator
and a resistor in series and watch for the voltage peak across the cap at
resonance should give the resonant frequency and the inductance can be
calculated back from that by
F (freq in Hertz) = 1 / {2 * pi * sqrt [ L (Henries) * C (capacitance in
Farads)]}

Peter