Re: Wire Length (fwd)

Original poster: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 12:03:25 -0700
From: Gary Peterson <g.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Wire Length (fwd)

> Well, it makes perfect sense to have the max inductance/max Q
> for a receiver coil.... Once tuned....you get the max power received.
>  Mike

     Yes, with the shortest possible wire length the resistance would be
minimized, resulting in the highest possible Q for the inductor.
     You mention "power received."  Well, we are still crawling around.  The
first step is simply to detect the transmitted energy.

"In my first efforts, of course I simply contemplated to disturb effectively
the earth, sufficiently to operate instruments.  Well, you know you must
first learn how to walk before you can fly.  As I perfected my apparatus, I
saw clearly that I can recover, of that energy which goes in all directions,
a large amount, for the simple reason that in the system I have devised,
once that current got into the earth it had no chance of escaping, because
my frequency was low; hence, the electro-magnetic radiation was low.  The
potential, the electric potential, is like temperature.  We might as well
call potential electric temperature.  The earth is a vast body.  The
potential differences in the earth are small, radiation is very small.
Therefore, if I pass my current into the earth, the energy of the current is
stored there as electromagnetic momentum of the vibrations and is not
consumed until I put a receiver at a distance, when it will begin to draw
the energy and it will go to that point and nowhere else." [Nikola  Tesla on
His Work With Alternating Currents and Their Application to Wireless
Telegraphy, Telephony and Transmission of Power : An Extended Interview,
Leland I. Anderson, Twenty First Century Books, 1992. pp. 130-131.]

I wrote:
>> . . . One of these had an H/D ratio of .45/1, two .47/1
>> and another .55/1. . . .

This should have read ". . . These had H/D ratios of .45/1, .47/1, .53/1 and