RE: PIRANHA-III Power control? (fwd)

Moderated and approved by: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 20:30:58 -0700
From: Terrell Fritz <terrellfone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: PIRANHA-III Power control? (fwd)

Hi Brian,

At 11:22 PM 12/21/2006, you wrote:
>From: Brian <brianv@xxxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: PIRANHA-III Power control? (fwd)
>
>I should have the circuit modeled and results within the next week, and will
>post the results to the list for anyone who wants to critique and offer any
>comments they would like to put in. One of the components did not have a
>model so I will need to create one off of the data sheet.

:-)))  Many "many!!" things do not "fit" the canned circuit sim
models.  Feel very free to make the "right" models!!!  It gets a little
scary when like 90% of it is "simulated", but as long as you watch it, it
all works real good ;-)))

I "still" use the "free" MicroSim thing for TC stuff :o)))  Sort of an "art
form" :o)))  I am curious to know what you are using??

>I am also playing
>with electronic phase shift control on another circuit that looks very
>promising right now and appears to be very stable under the soft start
>conditions.

Phase shifters love inductive nasty load things ;-)))

>However it has not been tested under heavy loads, I have tested
>it under lower level currents and loads specifically around 5 amps this was
>an almost pure inductive load and was very impressive. So a little more work
>and we will know.

Cool!!

>DC I will send the actual files to you offline when completed and we can go
>over them and make any necessary adjusting if needed.

Beware of any "fault/failure" conditions!!  It is very easy to make
simulations of things that "work right", but be sure to "pump in" really
bad things too!!  Simulations are very good and missing "real world"
failures...

Things like the power switch/contactor being thrown all over the AC cycle
(I think you are using soft start).  Multi switch ins very fast over
;-)))  If they forget to hook up or plug some big part (like the coil) into
it...  Prolly should go the full FMEA route there...  Some issues if a
single failed component will do "incredible damage" to everything else...

Cheers,

         Terry