RE: Beryllium Oxide

Original poster: Terrell Fritz <terrellfone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

BeO is a pretty exotic material to use for insulators. Maybe they are something else?

BeO is an excellent insulating ceramic and has similar thermal conductivity to aluminum, thus it's "cold" feel.

BeO dust is an extreme inhalation health hazard. Like asbestos but far worse. The susceptibility varies from person to person, but it is pretty evil stuff when inhailed. As a solid, it is perfectly benign and nothing to worry about. As long as they are not broken or crushed into dust, there is not problem at all.

Cheers,

        Terry