Re: Toroid made easy

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Stainless vs aluminum conductivity makes little difference in spheres/toroids (unless you're discharging kA-rms arcs, few do). Only when it is drawn into long thin wires does it make a noticible difference. Machining stainless vs aluminum is a whole other story. Why most toploads are aluminum.

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 10:30 PM
Subject: RE: Toroid made easy

Original poster: "alfred erpel" <alfred@xxxxxxxxx>

Gary,

WOW!

What an awesome approach.

I am going to try this with mirror finished stainless steel and report the
results back here.

I have an induction heating unit that I don't know how to use yet (and am
not going to figure out for this) but that is the way to go on heating up
the flat blanks.

BTW, does anyone have any comments regarding the efficacy of using stainless
steel (stainless steel has ~1/27 the conductivity of aluminum according to
one internet source) as a toroid vs. aluminum or copper in tesla coil usage?

Regards,

Al Erpel

[stuff snipped]