Re: COIL WINDING

Yes, in most cases. Obviously, not all. But, for those coilers who don't wind left to right, well, it happens, but not quite as often. Over the top is certainly helpful. If hand guided (and right handed), then left to right allows for ones dexterity to kick in. Thus, left to right for right hand coilers (resulting in a ccw coil).

If helical primary, may as well wind the same direction as the secondary. If flat primary, then flipping it over would result in aiding or opposing (where a helical would always be the same direction regardless of flipping it over).

I use a motor/belt system for the coil drive. The coil is always turning away from me over the top. Thus, the direction for over the top is ccw (because I hand feed and best done left to right).

I wonder what Sigman Freud would say?

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Seems the consensus is "left to right, over the top" except for one "right to left, over the top". I guess everyone wants over the top so it's easy to see the wire going on and use finger or other pressure to keep the winding tight. I guess one could drive the spindle from either direction, depending on where the most convenient place was for a drill or handle. In my case I have provisions to bolt the winder to the bench and can use either a hand crank (most of the time) or a drill with the chuck clamped on the shaft for the hand crank. Since I'm right handed the crank, and hence th drill, are on the right. Obviously a winder of some sort, however crude, is worth having but holding the form in the lap and turning it by hand works too.........

Ed